Whewie, was this week a busy one! Just moved into a new apartment, went camping with a team from the middle school, and had a BBQ with my own team. Oh yes, and I also had to make over four dozen cupcakes and a gluten-free 60th birthday cake.
So, this is what my Wednesday started out as (following 1 trip to the store to find gluten-free flour and 1 more, different trip to the store to find strawberries and good butter for buttercream).
You've already seen the chocolate chip cookie dough-filled cupcakes before, but after my students heard about them, I think I would've been run out of town if I didn't show up with them. "You must bring the cupcakes, Ms. Kovaliv." "Did you remember to make the cupcakes Ms. Kovaliv?" "I have to talk to you about cupcakes. [Enter brief anticipatory pause.] You're bringing them, right?" Well, I had no choice. So, I made 53 cupcakes. This, after another trip to the store, because I needed 7 cups of powdered sugar, and lo and behold, I only had about 2. Oh, and vanilla. I'd run out of vanilla. (3 store trips, thus far.)
Then, when that was all done, I tried my hand at my first ever gluten-free cake. My dad keeps telling me that I shouldn't "experiment" when I'm baking on a deadline. But, I haven't learned my lesson, and I had a minor panic attack when my strawberry gluten-free cakes turned out of the pan like this:
Yes. That's approximately 3/4" high. Some cake to celebrate a fabulous 60th birthday, eh? So, store trip number 4 to buy more gluten-free flour mix. I usually am a little Martha Stewart in my use of store-bought mixes (i.e. I am admittedly unnecessarily snobbish about my desire to make things from scratch), but when it comes to gluten-free, I trust those mixes more than myself.
Hooray! A much more acceptable cake structure. Time to frost and decorate! But no! I've run out of eggs! Store trip #5, ladies and gentlemen.
But here it is! An entirely gluten-free strawberry and vanilla cake with lemon buttercream frosting and a dark chocolate butterfly to top it all off.
So, this is what my Wednesday started out as (following 1 trip to the store to find gluten-free flour and 1 more, different trip to the store to find strawberries and good butter for buttercream).
You've already seen the chocolate chip cookie dough-filled cupcakes before, but after my students heard about them, I think I would've been run out of town if I didn't show up with them. "You must bring the cupcakes, Ms. Kovaliv." "Did you remember to make the cupcakes Ms. Kovaliv?" "I have to talk to you about cupcakes. [Enter brief anticipatory pause.] You're bringing them, right?" Well, I had no choice. So, I made 53 cupcakes. This, after another trip to the store, because I needed 7 cups of powdered sugar, and lo and behold, I only had about 2. Oh, and vanilla. I'd run out of vanilla. (3 store trips, thus far.)
Then, when that was all done, I tried my hand at my first ever gluten-free cake. My dad keeps telling me that I shouldn't "experiment" when I'm baking on a deadline. But, I haven't learned my lesson, and I had a minor panic attack when my strawberry gluten-free cakes turned out of the pan like this:
Yes. That's approximately 3/4" high. Some cake to celebrate a fabulous 60th birthday, eh? So, store trip number 4 to buy more gluten-free flour mix. I usually am a little Martha Stewart in my use of store-bought mixes (i.e. I am admittedly unnecessarily snobbish about my desire to make things from scratch), but when it comes to gluten-free, I trust those mixes more than myself.
Hooray! A much more acceptable cake structure. Time to frost and decorate! But no! I've run out of eggs! Store trip #5, ladies and gentlemen.
But here it is! An entirely gluten-free strawberry and vanilla cake with lemon buttercream frosting and a dark chocolate butterfly to top it all off.
You are such an awesome teacher Ms. Kovaliv! And your cake turned out so pretty!!
ReplyDeleteI love the cake, Anna. The butterfly was a perfect addition, too. How clever you become when in a panic!!!!! Love you. Mom
ReplyDelete